Sarah E. Hansen is a partner at Burden, Hafner & Hansen, LLC. She is an experienced litigator who focuses her practice on defending personal injury cases.
Ms. Hansen represents clients in the areas of trucking and automobile accidents, employment law, labor law, municipal law/governmental liability, premises liability, products liability and general negligence. She has been selected for membership in the Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA), the only international organization devoted to the defense of the trucking industry in personal injury, property damage, and workers’ compensation claims.
Ms. Hansen is on the Steering Committee for DRI’s Trucking Law and Labor & Employment Committees and is Co-Chair of the Trucking Committee’s 2019 Trucking Primer. Ms. Hansen speaks and publishes frequently on a variety of topics pertaining to transportation defense, employment law matters, product liability issues and matters affecting the restaurant, retail and hospitality industries. She enjoys reading and writing on subjects of importance to her clients.
Ms. Hansen is a member of Burden, Hafner & Hansen’s Emergency Response Team, which includes attorneys, field adjusters and accident reconstruction experts. The team is available 24/7 to handle all kinds of catastrophic loss response, including in major trucking, busing and automobile accidents; product failure; falls; and other incidents involving significant injury or loss of life.
Ms. Hansen handles cases throughout New York State.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Chair of Specialized Litigation Groups (SLGs), DRI Trucking Law Committee
- Chair of DRI Trucking Law Committee’s 2019 Primer, “Big Rig Meets the Court Room: A Mock Trial Primer”
- DRI for Life Committee Liaison for DRI Labor & Employment Law Committee
- Past Editor, The Whisper
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
- Themis Advocates Group
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF)
- Newsletter Editor-Product Liability Practice Area Committee
- Defense Trial Lawyers Association of Western New York
- Erie County (N.Y.) Bar Association, Negligence and Appellate Practice subcommittees
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Upstate New York CLM Chapter
- Participant, Trial Academy, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Co-Presenter, “Back to the Future: Routine v. Revolution, EPL Issues in a Pandemic World,” Themis Advocates Group Webinar Series (August 2020)
- Author, DRI Labor & Employment 2020 Compendium, New York State
- Author, “Regulatory Update: Proposed Rulemaking Gone Missing in the Era of Trump Deregulation,” In Transit (November 2018).
- Co-author, “Wearable Woes: An Emerging Issue in Product Liability Litigation,” NAMWOLF Newsletter (June 2018).
- Author, “What to Look For: Emerging Regulatory Developments Under the Trump Administration,” TIDA Newsletter (Spring 2018).
- Co-Presenter, “Is the Plaintiff Faking a TBI?,” Turning the Tables on Plaintiffs in Trucking Litigation, DRI Trucking Law Committee (April 2018).
- Co-author, “Are you Ready for a Wallaby at the Water Cooler? What Employers Need to Know Regarding Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals in the Workplace,” For the Defense (March 2018).
- Co-Presenter, “Transportation Law in the Trump Era,” Themis Advocates Group Annual Meeting (January 2018).
- Presenter, “Auto and Truck Claims, Accidents & Litigation,” New York State Bar Association (April 2017)
- Author, “Avoiding Cat-astrophe While Defending Employers: Expanded Cat’s Paw Liability Hits the Second Circuit,” The Job Description (Dec. 2016)
- Speaker, “Developments in the Use of Social Media in Litigation and Ethical Considerations,” Erie County Bar Association 2016
- Co-author, “Motions in Limine,” IADC Defense Counsel Training Manual (Third Edition, 2016), with Donna L. Burden
- Author, “What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You: Social Media and Attorney Competence,” The Voice (July 2016)
- Author, “Avoiding Problems and Pitfalls with Social Media Evidence: New York and the ‘Factual Predicate’ Test,” The Whisper (June 2016)
- Author, “Electronic Log Books, Driver Logs in the 21st Century,” In Transit (March 2015)
- Co-author, “Diversity of Citizenship Removal: What Transportation Attorneys Should Know About ‘Bad Faith’ and the One Year Time Limitation,” IADC Transportation newsletter (January 2015)
- Author, “Removing Jurisdictional Gamesmanship from Diversity of Citizenship Removal,” The Whisper (May 2014)
- Author, “Not Just a Pretty Picture: The Continuing Viability of the Logo Liability Doctrine,” In Transit (November 2013)
- Co-author, “Is New York Moving away from Frye?” IADC Toxic and Hazardous Substances Litigation newsletter (April 2012)
- Author, “No Time to Snooze when Dealing With Punitive Damages,” In Transit (April 2012)
- Co-author, “WARNING: Warnings for Seatbelts May Not Be Necessary,” IADC Product Liability newsletter (January 2012)
- State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Law, J.D. (cum laude) 2007
- Book Review Editor, Executive Editorial Board member, Buffalo Law Review
- Activist’s Gavel Award, Progressive Law Society
- St. Bonaventure University, B.A. (magna cum laude) 2004
Admitted to Practice
- New York State — All Courts
- United States District Court, Western District of New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- B Team Buffalo, Board Member (2019-present)
- Erie County SPCA
- Friends of the City of Buffalo Animal Shelter